Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

2013 Journey, Week 1: The Beginning is Always the Hardest!

Thinking about exercise is pretty easy.  Making a plan or schedule to exercise is pretty easy.  Actually getting yourself out the door?  Not so easy!

For the past several months I have run sporadically, but certainly nothing regular.  I might run twice in one week, and then not run again for a month!  That has just been the nature of me and my family's lives this past year.  BUT, I've made the decision to run through all of the chaos and uncertainty that each week might bring, because if I'm waiting for "normal", it's not going to happen.

MAKE A PLAN.  MAKE IT WORK FOR YOUR LIFE.

With the help of my husband, we created a running/workout plan from January until April 27th, which is when the 1/2 marathon is that I'm training for.  The first week I run a total of 11 miles, and average about 1 mile more each week.  What will happen after that?  Not sure, but right now I'm focused on the next 15 weeks.

Here is what my plan looks like:  I've decided that realistically, I can only fit in 3 runs per week.  Some runners may say that's not enough to train for a 1/2 marathon, but welcome to the real world of 4 young children and lots of therapies and doctor's appointments!  So, I'm going to work with what I got.  :)  I will run twice on the treadmill during the work/school week, most likely fitting it in during nap time.  I will do one longer run on the weekend, when my husband is home and I can run outside.  I will also TRY do some sort of strength training (crunches, push-ups, etc.) twice a week.


WEEK 1 REVIEW:
I survived  the first week, and it was tough.  I did not feel like running whatsoever.  My body isn't used to running on a regular basis, and it was kind of throwing a little tantrum.  But alas, I threw myself on that darn treadmill, and pushed myself out that door.  It's hard, but it gets easier, and it pays off.  I PROMISE.  How do I know?  Because I've had to come back after 4 pregnancies.  Because I've been on the other side of things.  I've been on the side where runs are a joy and I can't wait to get out there and knock out some miles.  The start can be brutal, but PRESS ON, because there are great rewards ahead.

Wed-3 miles
Thurs-3 miles
Fri-push-up step down, butt exercises, and crunches (you can find all of these on the blog)
Sat-5 miles

If you are a running nerd like me, and like more details about the runs, you can look on my running log page. Keep in mind that I'm an experienced runner, and I certainly wouldn't suggest starting off with this kind of mileage for a new runner.  If you are new to running and are interested in getting in shape and even possibly running a 5k, I'd strongly suggest visiting www.c25k.com.  It's a walking/running program that advances gradually over time.  If running is not your thing, try walking or some other type of cardiovascular workout; aim for 3 times a week.

Nutrition is also extremely important when training for a 1/2 marathon, and of course for your overall health.  After splurging too much over the holidays, I've been more intentional this week with drinking mostly water, having less desserts/treats (I have a horrible sweet tooth), and consuming more fruits and veggies.  If you aren't fueling your body well, you are going to pay for it on your workouts!  Eat well.  The quality of workouts you have and the food you put in your body to fuel it, go hand in hand.

SUMMARY:  Make a plan.  Force yourself to do it (it won't always be this way!).  Press on!  Fuel your body wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment