Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

2013 Journey, Week 2: Two Hurdles

HURDLE #1:  Weight

Whew, getting back into shape can be really frustrating.  I've completed two weeks of consistent running and trying to eat healthier, and you know what, I think I actually gained a pound!  I don't obsess over my weight, but gaining weight when you're trying to live healthier can be discouraging!  I'm naturally a muscular gal; have been since I was a little girl...way before I ever ran or did any strength training.  :)  When you don't work your muscles, they atrophy which may make you weigh less, but losing muscle is NOT the healthy way to lose weight!  I know I lost muscle in the months following our 4th daughter's birth.  Life was a whirlwind...constantly back and forth between the hospital and home, stressed, exhausted.  No time for sit ups, ha!  ;)  So, as I start to exercise again, I'm gaining muscle.  Muscle weighs more than fat, so as muscle begins to replace some of my fat, I may TEMPORARILY gain an extra pound or two instead of lose.  Frustrating, but stick with it, because it soon turns around, and before you know it, you find yourself getting lighter and lighter.  When you gain muscle, it raises your metabolism, and you end up burning more calories even during non-active activities, like watching TV, than you did before.  Pretty cool!  This is completely a mental thing, and this is often where people quit.  Why exercise and eat healthy if I'm just going to gain weight anyhow?  BUT, resist the temptation to give up, and trust the process.  Those who endure, will reap the rewards!

HURDLE #2:  Sickness

It started with my oldest, then it worked it's way through all four of our children, and then my husband and I...blah; a stomach bug.  I really didn't expect to get all 3 of my runs in this week, but by the grace of God and with the help of my mom and step-dad, I was able to!  If they were not visiting right now, there's no way it would have happened.  My natural inclination is NOT to run when I'm dealing with sick kiddos, but it actually gave me a "breather", and energized me to deal with whatever was ahead.  So I was very thankful to get those in.  Often, rest is the better option when you need to care for sick children or are recovering yourself, so just use good judgement.

WEEK 2 REVIEW:
Sunday-5 miles
Wednesday-3 miles
Thursday-3 miles
*No strength training

No comments:

Post a Comment