Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Where Have I Been?

The last time I wrote a journal entry I was pregnant with our 4th daughter, and was just 4 1/2 months away from a day that would change my life forever.  After a natural 7 hour labor, our 4th precious daughter was unexpectedly born with Down Syndrome.  Though in complete shock, my husband and I hardly had time to digest the news, when faced with our daughter's very serious medical issues and an admission to the NICU.  Eden had colon surgery at one week old, open heart surgery at 3 months old, a g-tube inserted at 4 months, spent almost 12 weeks in the hospital, and has had more medical complications than I care to talk about right now.  As I have mentioned in this blog before, 80% of hospitalizations are preventable, just by making better lifestyle choices.  Obviously Eden's have not been.  I've always cared about being healthy, exercising and staying well by making wise lifestyle choices.  My oldest child says she has never seen me sick.  To suddenly be in a position where your baby is facing life-threatening medical issues, and to have absolutely NO control over the situation, is quite humbling, to say the least.  Had it not been for the grace, provision, and care of my savior Jesus Christ, I'm sure I would have just curled up in a ball and "quit" life.  But thank GOD I didn't; I haven't.

Some of you might wonder, "Why are you going to take the time to do this blog, when you have much more important things to worry about now???"  I hear you, and I have an answer for you.  I'm doing it for Eden; for all 4 of our daughters; for you; for me.  I'm not going to stop running or caring for my health just because we have a child with special needs now.  Eden has a compromised immune system, and for the rest of her life will have to face more physical challenges than most of us will.  For the rest of her life, she will have to work much harder than the rest of us to burn the same amount of calories.  Having a healthy lifestyle is important for all of us, but even more so for my precious angel Eden.  Eden is my hero.  I have watched her endure suffering that I dare not even mention.  She has survived open heart surgery as a fragile 3 month old, and fought through recovery like a true soldier.  I am SO proud of her.  After watching my baby be so strong through the hardest of trials, I am encouraged to endure and press on through ANYTHING.  If she can do all that, I can train for and run a 1/2 marathon after having our 4th child, and enduring the hardest year of my life.  I want her to be as proud of me as I am of her...however, I don't think that's possible. :)

The blog entries may look a little different than they used to.  Instead of having a "tip", I'll probably share pieces of my journey as I strive to train for races and get back into shape, about 7 pounds heavier than I'm used to running with.  I'm one week into training, and I tell you what, it's been HARD.  I'm heavier, I'm fatigued, and honestly, I just don't feel like running.  But I'm doing it.  ONLY by the grace and strength of God.  Hope you'll join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment