Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tip #73: Recall the Benefits

As I was running my "long" run this past Saturday, I was not feeling so hot.  I was tired, felt slow, and the run seemed to go on and on and on.  I started questioning why I decided to run that day...which snowballed into a plethora of negative thoughts.  Suddenly I felt thirstier, weaker, slower.  Blah.

As I approached the landmark that marks where I have a mile and a half to go, the view of a familiar creek triggered something within me.  It reminded me of several runs where I felt strong, energetic, and efficient.  It reminded me of how I feel after my runs.  It reminded me of how since I've been running regularly I have had more energy, less stress, and more patience with my children.  I remembered the feeling of accomplishment after finishing a hard workout or race.  I recalled the relief of being able to comfortably fit in my clothes and run around all afternoon in the yard with my family.  I remembered my position as a Christ follower.  I am not my own; I am His.  Suddenly, I discovered a renewed sense of energy and motivation to finish up my 10 mile run.

As you strive for good heath, you will have good days, but there will also be bad days.  It's so easy to fall into a negative mind frame.  It's even easier to make up a list of excuses of why you should not take care of yourself.  Giving up is easy.  When you face these temptations, remember and recall.  Take a minute to remember the benefits of exercise; how you feel when you take good care of yourself; and who you belong to.  I hope that will help you to press on...even when you don't feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment