Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tip #72: Simplify Dinner

What's for dinner tonight?  The menu for many may include a meat, a starch, a veggie and some bread.  There's nothing wrong with that, but don't be afraid to simplify your dinner every once in a while.  A dinner doesn't have to include 4+ dishes!  Dinner also doesn't have to take an hour to prepare.  Think outside of the "dinner box".  Be healthy.  Be creative!  Every dinner does not have to include meat; and it does not have to include bread.

Need an idea to get you started?  Here is a meal I prepared the other night, when I didn't feel like spending an hour cooking.

Black bean quesadillas with sauteed squash and zucchini


This was so simple and fast to make, that there really is not much of a "recipe", but I'll tell you how I prepared it.

Ingredients:
Whole wheat tortillas
Canned black beans
Shredded mexican cheese
Sour Cream
Salsa

Fresh zucchini
Fresh yellow squash
Extra virgin olive oil
lemon pepper

I just made some quesadillas on my griddle.  Plopped a tortilla on, sprinkled cheese, put some black beans on, flipped, and ta-da!  Finished.  Can't get much more simple then that!  Served warm with sour cream and salsa.

Saute' any fresh veggies as a side.  I heated some olive oil in a pan, and sauteed the zucchini and squash over medium high heat.  I love lemon pepper, so I sprinkled some of that on the veggies too.

Delicious meal!  And very healthy of course.

For my kiddos, I did not include the beans.  They're not too fond of those...yet.  They are also not big fans of the squashes either.  So instead, I served them raw carrots with ranch dip.

Try this out or think of your own simple dinner.  This can be just as fast (if not faster) then a pre-packaged meal you buy at the grocery store; only TONS better for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment