Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tip #71: Head for the Hills!

I used to moan and groan about the many large hills in our neighborhood.  There are specifically two very large ones that I would dread on every run.  I mean they are long, steep, and...slow.  So very slow, sometimes during a run, I felt like I was walking!  I did not like them.  That was until I finished a recent race, and afterwards was reviewing the course in my mind.  I didn't remember going up any hills!  There were hills alright, but my body was so used to the "beasts" (as I like to call them) in my neighborhood, that I didn't much notice them.  Why?  Read on.

One of the best ways to boost your fitness and to burn a large amount of calories in a short period of time, is to walk or run up hills!  Anyone who has ever walked up a hill, knows that it takes more energy then walking on a flat surface; but did you know that depending on the hill, you can burn almost twice the amount of calories?  Now, there's some motivation!

You can either hit some hills outside, or you can simply adjust the % grade on your treadmill.  Adding hills to your workouts just once a week, can really make a difference.

The thought of hills can often spur on groaning sounds and down-trodden faces.  Let me encourage you though, because as with most exercises, the more you do them, the easier they become!

Here are the top benefits of including some hills in your busy week:
1. You burn a lot of calories in a shorter amount of time.
2. You will boost your fitness, energy levels, and metabolism.
3. You get a two-for-one deal: Aerobic exercise and a Strength Training workout all in one!

So, what's the moral of the story?  Head for hills, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment