Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tip #61: A Body Can Be Trained

When the subject comes up that I run, I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "I can barely make the trip to my refrigerator and back!", as the response.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha!  Okay, now that we've got our giggles out, let's look at what that response really means.  What that person is really saying is, "I am not in shape, I can't be in shape, and so I will use this response as an excuse for my inactive lifestyle."  Or...something like that.

A body can be trained my friends.  You're body can be trained.  When I started back into running about 5 months after our 3rd child was born, I could barely eek out 2 miles at 8:40 pace.  And it hurt, bad.  It was actually quite miserable.  But after only about 6 weeks of consistently running about 3 times per week, I was running 3, 4 and 5 mile runs at an 8 minute pace or less.  The actual pace that I ran is not important, what's important to note is how my pace and distance both improved over a relatively short period of time, just by making an effort, being consistent, and not quitting.

1. Make an effort:  Take the first step and start exercising.  Stop making excuses.  You don't need to be an athlete; you just need a heart and two legs.

2. Be Consistent:  Make a decision to exercise at least 2-3 times per week (or more if you have time).  Make it part of your weekly schedule.  Taking a week or two off, can really set back your fitness, and sometimes force you to start over again--the very hardest part!  By staying consistent, your exercise sessions will only get easier and more comfortable as you get more fit!

3. Don't quit:  Especially at the beginning!  The beginning of exercise is the worst.  You're out of shape, your body is sore and has various aches.  People get fooled and think this is how exercise will always be.  If you just press on, you will be rewarded with a sweet prize.  The prize of being able to actually enjoy exercise, not be sore all of the time, and to be encouraged by your progress.

Your body was made for so much more than just making a trip to the refrigerator and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment