Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tip #60: Chop, Chop!

If you struggle with eating a substantial amount and fruits and veggies, you are not alone.  It's not even that they're not delicious, it's just that well, some of them can be kind of inconvenient.  I deal with this issue not only with myself, but also with our 3 young children.  If I'm rushing out the door to get my oldest to soccer practice, wrestling my 21 month old off my leg, and trying to get drinks for all 3...I'm going to be a lot more likely to grab some pre-packaged sugary granola bars, then I am carrot sticks.  Not that granola bars are bad, but we're talking about trying to get in more fruits and veggies here.

My suggestion?  Make your own pre-packaged snacks.  Take just 15 minutes one night this week to make it happen.  Get out a cutting board, a good knife, some baggies (my husband makes fun of me for calling them that) and some of your favorite raw fruits and veggies.  For me, this would mean carrots, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, pears, and apples (fuji)...for now at least.  Cut up several serving size portions and bag 'em up!  Place them conveniently in your refrigerator, ready to grab, the next time you are needing a quick snack.  They'll be better for you, and equally as convenient as the bag of chips sitting in your pantry.  Snack on!

No comments:

Post a Comment