Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tip #35: Taking care of your self is NOT selfish

When we fly with our kids, why does the flight attendant always instruct us to give ourselves oxygen first, before our kids, in an emergency situation?  Doesn't that seem kind of selfish?  Well, no actually it doesn't.  If I give oxygen to my child first, and then pass out, I can't really help my child anymore, now can I?  In order to be able to love and serve your loved ones and this world, you need to take care of yourself.

Do you have what I call "Mommy Syndrome" (or Daddy, Grandparent, employee...whoever syndrome)?  Are you the type who is always taking care of everyone else, all the while allowing your health and well being to go down the tubes?  Please don't get me wrong, it is my responsibility and privilege to take care of my family and others, and this takes the bulk of my time.  However, if I don't take a little time and effort to care for my own body (My Temple!), some dangerous things can happen.

When you neglect your own health:
-You set an unhealthy example for the people around you and negatively affect their health.
-You will more easily become depressed and unmotivated, which undoubtedly affects your loved ones.
-You have less energy.  This means less energy to play with your kids.  Less energy to help those in need.  Less energy to even care.
-You are more likely to spend more money on your health later trying to "fix" the effects of an unhealthy lifestyle.
-You are more likely to spend some extended time in a hospital.
-Let's face it folks.  People who live sedentary lifestyles, on average, don't live as long as those who are active.  Make a little effort, and stick around for those you love.

This is not just about trying to lose weight to look good for a reunion.  I'm talking about your LIFE.  Your health is important, and it is not selfish to care about it.  In fact, what is selfish, is to not care about it.

 I feel like I do need to clarify something though...while it is important to put effort into your health, going overboard with exercise, diets or appearance is not healthy either.  Be intentional about your health, and realize that when you do this, it blesses, serves, and affects those around you even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment