Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Tip #29: Time for a Confession Session

"Where are are my headphones!!" I said (okay, I kind of shouted) to my husband.  "I have no idea" he replied.  After looking for the headphones to my ipod for 15 minutes, I decided I better just get going on my run.  But today was my long run...I might get bored!  I reluctantly headed out the door.  I wasn't nearly as motivated for the 8 miles I had ahead of me as I had felt earlier.  But alas, if I was going to run this 1/2 marathon in April, I needed to train for it.  For the first mile I had a song in my head, but after that I decided I would take this time to pray for my family.  As I started praying for my husband, a funny thing happened.  My personal imperfections and weaknesses kept coming to mind.  It's as if God was taking this "quiet" time to shine a flashlight on my heart and soul.  This run turned into both a "reflection session", and a "confession session" to the Lord.  Conviction over my sometimes harsh tone, critical spirit, and lack of patience, turned into remorse, the decision to turn away from such behavior, and a sweet time of forgiveness and mercy from my Savior Jesus.

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.  Romans 3:23

"He's destroying his family and he doesn't even realize it."  Have you ever said that, or heard that about somebody?  Most of us are all too busy...too busy to reflect on our purpose; our heart; our life.  Even in our free time we fill our minds with music, TV, movies, e-mail, Facebook, and tons of other time-stealing activities.  Constant NOISE.  How will we ever know what is going on in our hearts and souls if we aren't quiet long enough to think about it?  Exercise is a great time for this.  I've heard so many people complain that running/walking on the treadmill or even outside is just too boring.  Why not take that time to reflect on where you are at in your life, relationships, roles, etc.?  After all, none of us is perfect.  We all fail; we all fall.  We all have things to confess, turn away from, and lift up in prayer.

  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1 John 1:9

Use the next time you exercise to reflect, confess, and cry out to God.  I was so thankful for that hour of reflection, confession, and prayer...even if I did it somewhat unintentionally.  You can truly make exercise something that is good for your body and your soul.  Once in a while, leave the ipod at home; I'm glad I did.

1 comment: