Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Tip #63: Give Running a Try

I received the following message from a friend this week:

"When can you call yourself a "runner?"
When you have run a race? When you are on a track team? When you have run for a certain number of days, weeks, months?

Or is it when you start liking it? When You buy a running magazine? When you go outside and think how great the weather is for a run? This actually happened to me this week. It was Overcast and slightly drizzly, with a nice breeze. I hurried to do my housework so I could do a run in it. Its happening again today as the sun is shining, it'd warm but not hot, birds are chirping, slight breeze is blowing. Can't wait to get out on that trail."



My friend is new to running and started doing it to lose some unwanted pounds and get in shape.  She started out very slowly and conservatively, and as you can tell, has discovered the joy of running.  So Jennifer, to answer your question, YOU are a runner.  Exercise, especially running, is often viewed as a burden, a pain, and even a punishment.  But once you get out and actually start doing it on a regular basis, you really can begin to enjoy running.


Running is a source of stress-relief, alone time, challenge, prayer and exhilaration for me.  If given a chance, your once enemy, can transform into a faithful friend.  Running is cheap (you only need good shoes), it can be done anywhere, and it is the fastest way to burn calories and lose weight.  So, I know I'm biased, but give running a chance.  I'm glad Jennifer did; and I think she is too.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, Sara, I must confess.....running, oftentimes has sounded like punishment to me; however, I began the Couch to 5K online program a couple of weeks ago and I can NOT believe how far I've been able to come in a very short amount of time. I can't say that I love it just yet =) but I do look forward to seeing my progress each week.....very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelley, I understand viewing running as punishment. I used to view anything over a mile as torture! But as I pushed myself and started running longer, I discovered how great it can be. It's okay if you're not "in love" with the actual running yet. Much of my enjoyment of running is from its' results, how I feel afterward, and like you said, watching my progression. At times I still have a love/hate relationship with it, and that's okay. :) The c25k program is awesome--stick with it!

    ReplyDelete