Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Tip #57: Coupons don't make food good for you

While creating my family's meal plan for the week, and attempting to save us some money with coupons, I noticed that many of the coupons out there are not so great.  Some of the ecoupons I came upon tonight included cookie dough, crescent rolls, pizza rolls, toaster strudels, cinnamon rolls, and a bunch of sugary and brightly colored cereals.  I am all for saving as much money as possible on our grocery bill, but not at the expense of compromising my family's health.  I am definitely pro-coupons, and I use them regularly, but not for unhealthy things that I don't need to bring into my house.  We are to be good stewards of our money AND our bodies.

If you are a family that is struggling severely financially, and are able to get food via coupons for little or no cost, then by all means, eat it!  We have to eat to live, and unhealthy food is better then no food.  But, if you are able to make choices in the food you eat, choose wisely.  Bringing home 8 boxes of pizza rolls for $1 may sound like a great deal, but your health is going to be the one paying for it in the long run.

2 comments:

  1. And yet, sadly, the first natural reaction to come to mind while reading this was... MMMmmmmm- pizza rolls sound so GOOD. Oops.

    EXCELLENT point. I shall print this out and stick it in John's coupon envelope for the family shopper. :) he he. I think many times (for all of us) a coupon is an EXCUSE for the "fun" unhealthy food that we wouldn't even pick up otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenden, you crack me up. John may not want you reading this blog anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete