Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tip #45: What about my Java?

It's 5:45am, and I can hear my coffee pot doing it's thing and can smell one of my favorite aromas.  I roll out of bed, put on my slippers, grab a delicious cup of coffee, and dive into some uninterrupted time in the Bible.  I don't know if I would make it through my week without this precious time with my Lord.

Before having kids, I don't really remember drinking much coffee...but 3 kids later, it's usually part of my morning "ritual".  Really, it's not that I have to have it, it's just that I really enjoy it!  It's a treat for this mama.  So, the question is...is it healthy?

Well, yes and no.  Coffee contains antioxidants as well as Magnesium and Chromium, which help your body control blood sugar.  People who drink coffee (in moderate amounts) on a regular basis, are less likely to have type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease and dementia.  They also have fewer cases of some cancers, heart rhythm problems and strokes.  Coffee contains caffeine which is a stimulant, that can help level depression and even aid in endurance!  But before you start on that 3rd cup of coffee, you should also know that it has its drawbacks too.

For those who drink a lot of coffee, they can experience withdrawal symptoms when they don't have it, and in essence become dependent on it.  It can interfere with a good night's sleep, increase anxiety, give you the jitters, raise your blood pressure, and send you on some extra trips to the bathroom.  Also sometimes people replace meals with coffee and don't get the nutrition from food that their body needs.

My conclusion?  I like coffee, and I'm going to keep drinking it.  BUT, I'm going to be smart about it, and here's how:

1.  Drink coffee in moderation (no more than 2-3 cups per day).  I'm usually good with one.
2.  Learn to live without it once in a while.  Don't become dependent on it.
3.  Don't drink it late in the evening.
4.  Drink plenty of water!
5.  Drink it in addition to your meal; not as your meal.
6.  Be aware of what you are putting in your coffee.  A cup of coffee is only 7 calories, but those calories are      multiplied greatly by heavy creamers and sugar.  Choose creamers without High Fructose Corn Syrup in the ingredients, or go for the half & half, or milk.
7.  Enjoy!

*Pregnant women should not consume more than 200mg of caffeine per day, as large amounts of caffeine have been linked to higher incidences of miscarriage.  One cup of coffee has about 115mg.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info--I love me some coffee a couple times a week, especially during Bible-reading time! I'm surprised I don't think to have it more often...probably with the third kid :)

    ReplyDelete