Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tip #42: Get an Attitude...

...a POSITIVE one!  If you start a workout with a horrible attitude, I can guarantee how the workout will go...awful.  If you are constantly having a negative attitude about your health and exercise, that's going to lead to negative workouts, which will lead to negative feelings about exercise.  What happens next?  You quit.  You give up.  And then you are back in the same old boat of discouragement and an unhealthy disregard for your health and well-being.

How do I know this?  Well, because I've done it.  As a freshman in college I was forced to run cross-country in order to get strengthened for track.  I had only been an 800 meter runner (1/2 mile), quite a bit shorter than cross-country (3.1 miles).  I didn't like it, and I let everyone know about it.  I longed for short, fast workouts on the track, and what I got instead were long runs that seemed to last forever.  I started the runs with a bad attitude, and surprise, surprise I did not enjoy cross-country.  There was a sweet friend who first brought my grumpy attitude to my attention.  I can't remember now exactly what she said, but I'm so thankful she said it.  Not only was I bringing myself down, but also everyone around me.  I didn't even give cross-country a chance.  I decided I didn't like it before I even tried it, like a child who decides she hates cauliflower before she even takes a bite.

The funny thing now, is that I don't spend my exercise sessions doing fast sprints on the track.  No, I spend my exercise sessions running longer and slower...something I used to detest!  What's even funnier, is that I really enjoy it.

Give exercise a chance.  BUT, go into it with a good attitude, and you may be surprised with how it affects your workouts, and your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment