Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Tip #14: Strength Training is not just for body builders

When you think of strength training (weight/resistance training), the first picture that comes to mind may be a steroid-enhanced, fake-tanned, inhumanly muscular guy, with blinding white teeth, posing in a speedo. Let's erase that please. Gross. That's not natural, that's not healthy, and that's not the product of correct and balanced resistance training.

The American College of Sports Medicine recommends for healthy adults to exercise each muscle group 2 to 3 nonconsecutive days per week. Wondering why they would suggest such a thing?

Strength training:
-raises your metabolism
-gives you more energy
-reduces your risk of osteoporosis
-reduces lower back pain
-reduces high blood pressure
-reduces risk of diabetes
-increases muscular strength
-increases endurance
-helps to maintain a lean body weight
-enables older individuals to function independently longer
-helps you to better perform your activities of daily living

Don't have any weights? No worries. Most of the strength training I do is with no weights at all; I simply use my body weight, and you can too. If you are convinced that strength training is important now, then stay tuned this week because I'll be sharing different exercises that you can start right away!

*Check out the new pages on the home page: Why this blog? and My Story.

4 comments:

  1. Since I have a lot more body weight than you, I sometimes do a few sets of push-ups on the wall (instead of push-ups on the floor) before I get in the shower. :-) I guess it's a start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great start Sylvia! Have you ever tried to do push-ups on the floor, balancing on your bent knees, instead of toes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, a lot of people keep asking me how I am losing all my weight. The thing that has helped me the most is exercise-and I love to include strength training. I like to use a barbell for squats and chest, bicep, tricep, back and shoulder exercises. But you're right-there are SO many things you can do with no weights at all. I started my push-ups on the wall too. Then went to knees. And now I always do them the "real" way. I may not be going all the way down to the floor yet, but I will get there and it feels so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Cory-thanks for filling us in on your workouts. You are truly awesome, and inspiring to many! Keep it up, and I hope you'll get a chance to try out some of the exercises I'll be posting this week (if you're not already!).

    ReplyDelete