Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Simple Meal Makeover...Tacos AND Brownies!

If I lived alone I'd probably eat a lot more beans and rice, salads, and plain 'ol sauteed vegetables for dinner.  The fact is, is that my husband and I are very blessed with four young kiddos, and their taste buds have a different idea of what's good for dinner.  Instead of fixing myself a separate meal, I've started giving some of our meals "makeovers"...including even tacos and brownies!  The changes are not huge, but make a BIG impact.

For tacos, I simply exchange the taco shell for a leaf of iceberg lettuce!  Now this is not one I do for the kids, unless they ask.  I just roll up a taco (taco meat, tomato, cheese, taco sauce) in a leaf of lettuce instead of a taco shell or tortilla, and quite honestly, I like it even better!

The makeover I have for brownies is not for the homemade kind, but for the brownie mix from a box kind.  The brand we prefer (Duncan Hines chewy fudge family style), requires 2 eggs, 2/3 cup of water and 1/4 cup of oil.  The only change I make, is exchanging 1/4 cup of applesauce for the 1/4 cup of oil, and voila', you have applesauce brownies!  Once they've cooled I also stick a few dark chocolate chips on top for extra yumminess.  The brownies turn out a bit more like a dense, moist cake, but if you ask my kiddos (and me!), they are delicious!

The advantage to these small changes?  If you were to have two tacos and one brownie for dinner, here is what you would ELIMINATE with the makeover:

260 Calories, and 17 grams of fat!  Worth it?  Totally.  Tasty?  Definitely.

Try it.





No comments:

Post a Comment