Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tip #67: Be a Lifetime Goal Setter

It was the end of December, and I slowly clicked the "confirm" button to sign up for the 2011 Country Music Half Marathon.  It was official, I was committed.  For the next four months, I traded TV time, internet time and rest time, for run time.  I scheduled 4 runs into my busy week every week, in order to reach a goal.  So here I am, three days after completing, reaching and even exceeding my goal (Results).  What do I do now?  Well, first I'm going to take a week off (just as anyone who runs a 1/2 marathon should), and then...I'm going to set a new goal.

Let me just tell you, it would be so easy to celebrate my race by not exercising for a while and indulging in a bunch of junk food that I've been avoiding for the last few months.  But just because my goal has been met, doesn't mean my health isn't important anymore!  Let me encourage you to set a goal, reach it, set a goal, reach it, set a goal, reach it, set a goal...get the point?  Your goals do not have to be large ones.  You should set short-term goals, long-term goals, "easy" goals, challenging goals, and everything in between.  Some of your goals may be related to food, others may have to do with a race or a personal workout.  What's important is that you continue to care.  Don't grow lazy and indifferent with your health, especially after a high point--that can be one of the most tempting times to stop caring.

If you want a little direction in where to start, try one of these goals:

1.  Sign up for a 5k run/walk in the next 3 months.
2.  Cut out soft drinks/Only order soft drinks when you go out to eat for a whole month.
3.  Eat lunch at home or bring your own lunch to work at least 3 times per week.

I don't know you, and I'm certain you can do a better job of personalizing goals for yourself, but maybe those can get your wheels turning.  Keep in mind that a goal is not an end in itself.  A goal is simply a tool to help you keep on track with your health and fitness.  Setting goals makes pursuing your health a fun thing.  Set goals, and set them often.

No comments:

Post a Comment