Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tip #9: Find your inner athlete

Before you start moaning and groaning, read on.

We all know that our bodies need to exercise, but sometimes it's just hard to get motivated. It was hard for me to get motivated to get moving after I had my third child. There was always something more appealing than going out for a walk...like sleeping, watching TV, browsing Facebook...you name it. I knew I had to do something. So, I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon. Signing up for a race gave me a goal to look toward. Knowing that I had it coming up, helped me to choose to go on a run over wasting time on something else. Four months after signing up for the race, I had completed my first 1/2 marathon, lost all of my pregnancy weight, and felt healthy and strong. I was quite pleased; setting a goal had really helped.

My suggestion for you? Sign up for a local 5k (3.1 miles). Everyone can do this. Whether you label yourself as an athlete, runner, walker, couch potato or someone in between, a 5k can be done by all. You can run it, jog it or walk it. Don't worry about coming in last; there are always walkers at the end, often in a group, smiling and having a grand 'ol time, being cheered in by fans near the finish line. If you've never been to a 5k run, you'll find that it can be quite an event. You usually get a t-shirt, sometimes there are bands, games/inflatables for kiddos, and there is almost always free food and drinks at the finish.

So, let's do this:
1. Find a race to run--search on the Internet for a runner's club in your area. Most cities have one, and their website usually lists all of the local 5k's around.
2. Sign up at least 2 months in advance--give yourself some time to train.
3. Get a friend or two to sign up with you if you can.
4. Start training!

Walkers: go on 2-3 walks a week (or more if you're really motivated!), and make sure you get up to 3 miles for some of them, so you'll be prepared on race day.
Beginning runners: If you'd like to run the 5k but are not currently running at all, check out this website : www.c25k.com (Couch to 5k), for a great training plan.
Runners:If you are a more regular runner, and would like some direction on a training plan for a 5k, let me know and I'd be happy to help you out.

*If you have a severe medical condition, do not sign up for a 5k until you consult with a doctor.

Be brave, try this out. You might just surprise yourself and enjoy it...and who knows, you may even come back for more.

1 comment:

  1. the couch to 5K program got me back in shape after being diagnosed with diabetes. it gave me something to work towards and i only run races that are for a good cause. i dropped 33 pounds in a year by running!! love this idea Sara

    ReplyDelete