Can't commit to a full workout regime or highly restrictive diet? You don't need to.

Health and wellness come not from a magic pill, diet, or program, but from gradually transforming your current lifestyle into a healthy one, day by day.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tip #21: Just because you have kids doesn't mean you have to eat like one

When our first daughter was a toddler I fell into the habit of eating whatever she ate for lunch.  This meant I had a delectable lunch menu of PBJ, mac 'n cheese, grilled cheese...umm....and that's about it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for feeding my children healthy foods, and making sure that they have either a fruit or veggie at every meal; but let's face it, kids can be picky.  There are a couple of things to consider here.  One:  your child still has a lot of growing to do--you don't.  They need more fat than you do, and if you are always eating what they eat, you are probably taking in more than you need.  Two:  hopefully you are not near as picky of an eater as your child is.  They'll probably grow out of it eventually, but until they do, it doesn't mean that you should be confined to such a limited menu.

The cool thing is, that when you start branching out and eating healthier foods, and having more variety, your kids take notice, and they might even ask for a bite now and then.  My 3 year old always steals my tuna and crackers, and my 19 month old devours my spinach saute' (see fit tip #10 for recipe).  Another thing to try at lunch instead of your standard sandwich, is a wrap.  This is how I make mine:

Layer some turkey and cheese on a whole wheat tortilla.  Throw some sliced tomato and a couple of spinach leaves on there too.  Sprinkle with some garlic salt and/or basil.  Toast in the toaster oven.  Ta da!  A quick, healthy, delicious lunch...and a nice change from a PBJ.

2 comments:

  1. My son ate vegetables yesterday and asked for seconds, thirds, fourths, fifths, sixths...I nearly passed out!!!

    ReplyDelete